We provide Ionising Radiation Protection Officer inspections for secondary schools and academies holding Ionising Radiation sources in their Science departments.
These inspections, and the reports resulting from them, are required every two years if schools are to comply with the Ionising Radiation Regulations for schools. The inspection visits carried out by a qualified RPO cover the monitoring of the safe use and storage of radioactive materials in schools.
Working in partnerships with schools our service enables you to ensure that safe working practices for the storage and use of radioactive materials are in place, to comply with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 through the adoption of CLEAPSS guidance ‘L93 Managing Ionising Radiations and Radioactive Substances in Schools and Colleges’, October 2018.
We also offer Radiation Protection advice to schools. This service applies to local Schools and Academies subscribing to the CLEAPSS local authority (RPA) Service.
- An initial visit to check school compliance with safe working practices for radioactive material
- A compliance audit and report for head teacher and head of science with clear recommendations
- Advice and guidance for school radiation protection officer/Head of science on safe storage and usage of radioactive materials from a qualified radiation protection advisor
- Ongoing advice by email/telephone if required
- Follow up visit to support the implementation of recommendation
- Bi-annual inspection visit to monitor the management of radioactive sources and reassure their employee that the arrangements for radiation protection are working.
Benefits to schools:
- Ensures the statutory requirements and guidance for storage and handling of radioactive materials are met
- Minimises risk to students and staff
- Advice and guidance from a qualified radiation protection advisor
- Opportunities for staff to ask questions and raise any concerns.